Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Prism 10 and Canon T7i Issues

SSG Caldwell

Hi

Downloaded Prism 10 recently and was impressed with its documented capabilities. I currently use another popular acquisition  program which works great, but was interested in trying out an “all in one” software package.  Used Prism for the first time several nights ago with mixed results. All my equipment connected fine, scope slews accurately, camera connected and was IDed as a Canon T7i, was able to focus and plate solve. However, when it came time  to take an image sequence, I had issues. My cameras dial was set to M but I did not change the exposure menu setting to Bulb, Prism let me know that you cannot expose greater than 30 seconds on manual, that was my “bad”, I know better. Changed the menu setting to bulb, still got the message about not being able to expose greater than 30 seconds on manual. Ok, disconnected camera, reconnect camera with camera menu in bulb mode, same message. Restarted program, power cycled camera, ensured camera in bulb mode, reconnected camera, same message.  At this point I manually depressed the shutter button it open I held for 60 seconds and released it, shutter closed so definitely in bulb mode. Nothing I seemed to do could get the program to recognize that the camera was in bulb mode. Oh well, started imaging at 30 second just to try out things. Set number of exposures at 100, Prism stopped at 39 stating it was downloading an image, after 5 minutes I gave up and aborted the sequence (this was problematic too) restarted the image run made it to 22 this time, same thing. I gave up trying to image. Also had a lot of problems using the calibration options Prism provides, bias was OK but flats and darks were an issue. I connect my wife's T5 and all was well. My suspicion is that Prism 10 does not support the Canon DIGIC 7 used in the T7i. I hope someone has a suggestion I would like to try Prism again. I think it has great potential. (equipment used: Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro, RedCat 51,Canon T7i, SW:  Prism 10.4.3.522 running on a Windows 10 Laptop)

Best Regards 

Bill

I think Prismv11 is expected to be released around Christmas so I would assume active development and incorporation of new cameras may have ceased with v10 (at a guess).  I see you have posted a query on the hyperion forum so you will probably get the best response there.

Thanks for the response. I had heard that Prism 11 was coming out at years end so you're probably correct about the cessation in development of V10.  Still I find it strange that T7i(800D) is not supported, its been out quite a while. I left a message at the Hyperion Forum 8 days ago  and only received a single response from a user. Unfortunately the answer was not particularly helpful.  I also left a similar message on Cloudy Nights Forum which received many views but zero responses. Probable as a result of the rarity of Prism use in the US. I left the message here because I felt that there might be more Prism users in Europe.

Best regards 

Bill