NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Additional Scope

Likwid

Hello, everyone. I currently am using an Orion ED80 with an Orion ST80 for a guidescope, on an Orion Sirius Mount. I am a little sick of looking at the sky through my binos, so I figured I would start looking at getting another scope for Visual and Imaging. I am thinking that I want something with a higher focal length, so I could even swap the two out when I want to image with one over the other. With 1370mm, I could get a decent look at the planets and some nice closeups of the moon's surface. I really would like to stay in the $500 range, but there are a lot of options out there, and I am limited by the 30lb max (15lb for imaging) payload on my mount. I have the Orion Mini Deluxe 50mm Guidescope as well, so it should shed a few pounds from the ST80 for something in the 12lb range. The scope listed below is what I am currently looking into, its 12lb, and with the Mini Guidescope, Autoguiding Camera and DSLR, I shouldn't be pushing much over 15lb. Has anyone had any experience with this scope? Looking at Astrobin, it looks like it takes some decent images. Is there anything else I should keep an eye out for, or anything that might suit what I am looking for better? It looks like there is also a TPO 6" F/9 RC that is $100 less that also has some really nice images on Astrobin. Now that I think of it, would that focal length be too much for my mount with Autoguiding? Sorry for the rambling.

Orion 6" f/9 Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph Telescope

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Orion-6-f9-Ritchey-Chretien-Astrograph-Telescope/rc/2160/p/113911.uts

Thank you!!!

Edit: Looking more into it, iOptron and GSO make the RC6, for $100 less. AstroBackyard had an article on the iOptron version of that scope and he seemed to like it.

https://astrobackyard.com/ritchey-chretien-telescope/

Edited by Likwid