NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Color balance with CLS filter

Hi all, I gathered 20 and a half minutes of data on the Lagoon and Trifid Nebula recently. I was wondering what would constitute a 'correct' color balance using an Astronomik CLS filter since it gives the whole image a blue cast. Having said that, I did obtain some really good data for such a short amount of time; probably the best I've had since I began astrophotography last year! I have attached both my interpretation of the data as well as the stacked tif file for y'all to have a go at processing. I'm under the impression that the Lagoon and Trifid should appear pinkish-red for a stock dslr but I'm not too sure so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Screenshot 2020-07-14 at 9.12.50 PM.png

L&T stack.TIF

Edited by Nerf_Caching

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the same problem with removing the blue-green colour with the CLS flter.  I tried taking a white balance image (picture of a white card) and use the auto white balance eye dropper in Lightroom.  Both the temperature and tint sliders went all the way to the right, which seemed ridiculous.  However, when I've applied that correction to my Raw Files and saved as a Tiff it does give a better starting point for the stacking process.  

I processed the same data again but with more experimentation with colors. I've managed to increase the contrast between the reflection part of the Trifid Nebula and the background. Looks a little better than the last process with the warmer colors. 

Lagoon & Trifid.png