a half decent night

bomberbaz

Ok quick review. I knew the  new place I was looking at would be affected by "southern"  skyglow from towns a few miles away but even I was surprised how obvious it was. I know of much darker places but this was 20 minutes and given the current situation still ongoing, thought that travel reasonable. My other nearest decent dark site is more than double that so thought I would try out this new place and be sensible.

So the good. Got a cracking view of mercury, managed to resolve it in the dob although there was a lot of false colour as it was low on horizon. Got my best ever of Venus, again a little false colour but the crescent was superbly defined.

The scopes push to is still doing a sterling job, I shall miss it when I sell it.   I confirmed I don't need glasses or dioptrix below a 3mm exit pupil, despite what my prescription and televue say. 

I have had a mini revelation on viewing galaxies after trying out much more magnification than I would normally have. Thanks @Don Pensack for the tip. Actually had the Nikon 12.5 with a powermate, thats x190 and the view was still strong with good structure, I think the view was better at 140 with the 17mm nikon barlowed. That's x14 per inch aperture.  Mind you this was viewing M81 which was northern facing where skyglow was minimal. Oh forgot, M13 was fantastic once it got very high up and away from the skyglow, best view I have had in years. 

The bad was the dam awful skyglow, anything south facing was washed out and if low completely unable to be seen. Not making a list of doubles and other clusters to keep me going a little longer after running out of options, a list compiled mostly of galaxies in a place I already suspected would be affected by LP was not my best idea.

Also not making a stronger list looking northerly. I had checked a light pollution map so knew this would be the best option, as is born out in comments above. Still one day I will learn, hah!

I actually really enjoyed tonight despite the LP issue. I learned and confirmed a few things that will help me to continue to enjoy this hobby going forward.

On a personal basis I could hear all sorts of wildlife through the night, bats kept flying around my head and I really felt a sense of peace & contentment. It was good to be out and think tonight did my wellbeing a power of good.

Steve

• Like 5