Canon settings for milky way?

I have a 6D and ISO 1600 with f/1.4 (I think) gave me a reasonable  result at 24mm FL. I used that for 45 seconds but not too much difference from 30 if shooting raw.

i documented my efforts in that exact direction here, but beware it’s a bit long and rambling!! http://www.slidingseat.net/stars/stars.html#startingout

Edited by Captain Magenta

15 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

I have a 6D and ISO 1600 with f/2.8 (I think) gave me a reasonable  result at 14mm FL. I used that for 45 seconds but not too much difference from 30 if shooting raw.

i documented my efforts in that exact direction here, but beware it’s a bit long and rambling!! http://www.slidingseat.net/stars/stars.html#startingout

I use a 18-55 mm lens for my canon 350d so whats the focal length and what is that gonna result in how long the exposure is?

That lens will mean f/4 I think. To avoid increasing exposure time, which at 30s will cause stars already to be becoming streaks and the MW slightly smeared, you’ll need to increase ISO to adjust for the reduced exposure. From f/1.4 to f/4 is 3 stops, so ISO will need to be 12,800 on that basis. It’ll be very grainy though.

Try that and perhaps 6400, or reduce exposure time to 15-20s and compare the results.

Edited by Captain Magenta