Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help, colour balance issues...maybe?

So I am trying to work out some colour balance issues with my setup. I am having a hard time getting blue stars in my images.

For example:

image.thumb.png.a0f8c6eb95948a8aa5d7292465af0b23.png

In others images that bright stars at 7 o'clock is blue.....I cant get it to be blue, its always white. Yet I am getting a few blue stars in M13 so whats going on?

Thanks for the help.

Adam

Hi Adam,

It would help to have some details.  Scope, exposure time and your processing steps.

It looks to me that you have stretched the stars too much, leading to loss of color saturation. What software are you using?

Adding to this: If you look at your single subs, is that star saturated (unstreched)? If it is, there is no way to get (a lot of) color back. If it isn't, then it is just a matter of processing. Stars are hard 😉

1 hour ago, Annehouw said:

Hi Adam,

It would help to have some details.  Scope, exposure time and your processing steps.

It looks to me that you have stretched the stars too much, leading to loss of color saturation. What software are you using?

I am using Astro Pixel processor and PS2.

Its an Esprit 100, ASI1600MM Pro and Baddar LRGB filters.

Adam

Edited by Adam J

In APP: Do you use DDP in the preview filter to generate the file for export to photoshop? 

- When you choose "no stretch" is the blue star burned out already? If so, your subs are too long. In order to preserve star color, subs usually need to be on the short side.

- If the answer to the above is "not burned out", experiment with the DDP settings until you see a nice image but not too bright as to retain the star color.

- Save the image.

- Bring it into PS for the last mile, but be careful with further stretching!

23 minutes ago, Annehouw said:

In APP: Do you use DDP in the preview filter to generate the file for export to photoshop? 

- When you choose "no stretch" is the blue star burned out already? If so, your subs are too long. In order to preserve star color, subs usually need to be on the short side.

- If the answer to the above is "not burned out", experiment with the DDP settings until you see a nice image but not too bright as to retain the star color.

- Save the image.

- Bring it into PS for the last mile, but be careful with further stretching!

Its not blown out with no stretch in APP but even with no stretch its bearly blue just a hint of blue, its an Spectral Class A8V star so really only very just blue. 

I think people may be pushing this star to be more blue than it actually is.

Edited by Adam J