NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Big refractor vs smaller refractor and SCT as "do all" setup

Hi all,

I'm hoping I can get some wise advice on what to purchase so I don't chuck money down the drain (been there, done that!).

I started out with a Celestron Nexstar 6 - spent a year failing to image using the alt-az mount using my DSLR, tried the wedge (epic fail) and then decided to purchase an SW EQ6R after playing with their little staradventurer and a WO61 (which I'm impressed with).

My interests are nebulae and galaxies which I am finding more and more fascinating at this time of year!

I have recently added the ASI 1600 mono which is a superb bit of kit and have just starting imaging with the Nexstar 6 (see firstlight M51 from the weekend with limited data). Hopefully I can play with this and the WO61 when suitable targets are in view.

I have been considering investing in a large-ish refractor (SW esprit 120) but was wondering whether my money would be better spent on a slightly smaller refractor (SW esprit 100) and a celestron edgeHD 8 instead? Clearly slightly more expensive but would possibly give me more versatility?

So questions:

1) Will the EdgeHD 8 give me a significant jump up in optical performance compared to my Nexstar 6 (which I've struggled with vignetting and coma correction) or should I just persevere and purchase a flattener/ reducer for the Nexstar 6 (I tried this with the DSLRs but it had terrible vignetting so I returned it)

2) Will the optical performance of the esprit 120 be significantly better than the Nexstar 6/ edgeHD8 and sufficient to crop more aggressively and given me a pleasing image of galaxies, thereby negating the need to purchase the EdgeHD8

Apologies for the long post!

Best wishes

Paul

M51 firstlight ASI 1600 nexstar 6 cropped.JPG

The EQ6-R is a great mount for what you are trying to do. And it will support any of the scopes you list. My personal recommendation is that you don't try and screw in a screw with a hammer or nail in a nail with a screwdriver. By that I mean don't try and get one scope to do everything you want. You will want different tools for different applications.

The Esprit 100 is a fantastic scope. I owned one myself and it comes with literally everything you need to start imaging or viewing except for a camera or eyepiece. So I would start with that.  Including galaxies and nebulae. Here are some images taken with it: https://www.astrobin.com/search/?q=esprit+100 In general I would master using it before moving to the EdgeHD 203mm. The reason being that the Esprit is 550mm focal length. That is a much more forgiving focal length than the 2,032mm native and 1,422mm with the focal reducer. 

Once you have done all you can with the 100 then get the EdgeHD 203mm and the f/7 focal reducer and start imaging with it.

Edited by Dr Strange