300P goto Dob plinth and setting circle

Astro-Geek

As a follow up to my threads on my Goto Dob motor board's demise (which was entirely my fault 🥴), I've been modifying it in the meantime for manual use. (It looks as though it will be weeks or months before replacments are available again with the current situation).

It already had an Alt setting circle so I've added an Az one to the rim of the base.  I couldn't think of a simple way to give it a movable degree scale so I marked it directly with a stencil and sharpie, after very carefully measuring the (huge !) circumference and dividing by 360, (in 10 degree steps, so no cumulative errors).  I then made a pointer that clamps on anywhere around the edge, allowing me to set it to North. That gave me the bonus of being able to place it anywhere around the perimeter for ease of viewing.

I'd already adapted a triangular "movers" trolley with strong outriggers and screw jacks to level and anchor the base after it is wheeled in position.

The final mod was a strong removable podium to raise it about 12 inches to get the Alt pivot point just below the rim of my Skyshed Pod  (48 inches from the ground). This was made simply out of 18mm MDF.

It works quite well in there, coexisting with my EQ6 on a wheeled pier.  I can move either one into position for the night's intended viewing with no problem of the standard Pod's obscured Zenith with a fixed central pier.  It does mean the EQ6 needs regular polar alignment, but that's a breeze now with the Polemaster software and camera.

The 12 inch Dob is a fantastic light bucket, and (when the goto is fixed again) it does track nicely, albeit with field rotation from the Alt/Az, so I use the EQ6 with a 100 ED or a 180 Mak for AP.

If anyone is undecided about the expense and bother of getting an Obsy, go for it, it transforms the usability, especially with our fickle clear skies....  🤓

az setting circle.jpg

dob plinth.jpg

dolly jacks.jpg

• Like 4