NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Zhumell Z10 or Orion XT10??

I currently have a Celestron 90az, which was a greater beginner telescope, but, now I'm looking for something bigger, and I've narrowed down my choices to the Zhumell Z10 or the Orion XT10. I know that the Zhumell has much better accessories, but I wonder if it's worth the extra 100 bucks? Is there any major quality difference between the scopes themselves??

I would also consider the Explore FirstLight 10" Dobsonian due to the large trunnions and rotatable tube.  Another option is the Explore Scientific - Generation II - 10-inch Truss Tube Dobsonian Telescope for $50 more than the Zhumell.  If storage space or transport space is an issue, the truss design can't be beat.

Edited by Louis D

To answer your original question, the Orion is Synta made (PRC) while the Zhumell is GSO made (ROC).  Both have good optics and similar construction.  The Zhumell definitely has the better focuser (dual speed) and a nice optical finder worth over $50 alone.  The large trunnions on the two ES scopes I mentioned will make for much improved altitude motions over either the Zhumell or Orion.  I don't know much about the ES focusers, though, or who makes their scopes.  I assume JOC (PRC) since they own ES, but I could be mistaken.