NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Evolution Mount & Handset Update.

Jupiter1

Hello Everyone,

Trying to update my 2015 Evolution 9.25 mount ,so far , without success, .    I would appreciate a detailed rundown of the steps required . i.e. does the handset need to be connected to the mount and is it necessary to have it switched on. I have the Celestron Update downloaded on my Windows 10 , but how do I Start the update from that stage. ?

I do have the correct ftdichip driver cable but I may not have completed the complete download of the latest Driver because just as I was switching of the Download programme I caught something about pull out the plug and re insert to Complete download. I am not sure how to download again having paid the cost .   ( for the Driver Update ) , Is it really important ?.         I am on a Steep learning curve here !

Stay Safe everyone !

I have done firmware updates, but I would prefer to refer you to the instructions on Nexstarsite. I have not tried doing updates with Windows 10.

You do need to sort out the driver for the serial/USB adapter, but I don't see why you are having to pay for a driver. I found a free one.

Unless you need to update to fix a known documented issue, if the mount is working, I recommend that you just leave well alone.

This should assist with updating a 2015 Evolution and Nexstar + HC. 

1. Install the latest version of JAVA into your Windows 10 laptop.

Use link below to Nexstar Resource site if you need help.

2. Install the driver for your Serial to USB adapter cable. 

This is normally a PL2303 driver, but depends on the cable purchased. A 2015 model Nexstar + HC requires a cable with external serial to USB adapter.  Later models use a simple USB cable (but still need the driver)  Connect your HC to scope and then HC to the laptop, the latter using the serial to USB cable.

You should be able to use Google to identify any specific driver for your cable, but a Prolific Technilogies PL2303 is normal. Again, the link below should assist.

3. Download CFM (Celestron Firmware Manager) from the Celestron website.

Note here that any other updaters for earlier models do not apply.

4. This is a zip folder. Extract CFM, and LATER run its executable file from within its extracted directory. For some weird reason (I think the problem is with JAVA), desktop shortcuts can be pernikity. 

5. Switch on scope. Then run CFM.

6. CFM will identify scope, identify updates necessary.

7. Press <update>. Follow on screen guidance.

You might need a little more help with 1, 2, 4. Why Celestron doesn't auto-include JAVA and drivers within CFM escapes me.

If you need more help with any step, send me a 'PM' and I can send you workarounds, but this thread would be a mile long if I here tried to cover all the varients like updating using an Apple-Mac or over WiFi. But this route (above) will work with any current Celestron model. Older scopes use a different process. 

This link will offer further guidance for you to resolve this yourself. But the basic steps above are correct.

https://www.nexstarsite.com/OddsNEnds/HCFirmwareUpgradeHowToNexStarPlus.htm

Edited by noah4x4
Add useful link

Hi Cosmic Geoff &  Noah 4x4,

Thank you both so much for taking the trouble  to detail what I need to do and your comments,  I am sorry that I did not reply sooner because I thought the thread was getting old ,

It must have taken you some time Noah.

but Hey , you did not let me down.  So a BIG Thankyou I will keep trying . All the Best , Stay Safe in these Troubled Times , Regards Jupiter1   ( Brian )