Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Remote control of Sky-Watcher Auto Focuser?

Hi,

I hope this is the right place for this slightly odddddd question.

I just realised that I can remote control most of my setup using TeamViewer. My Android phone controls the GOTO mount, and my Android tablet controls the camera. I can then control both using my PC, with phone on one screen and tablet on another. Works really well, and I prefer the Android approach because I like the lightness of the mobile devices, they have longer life than my Windows laptop, and they just work very reliably whereas the laptop was a bit hit and miss.

It struck me that the only part that isn't controllable is the Sky-Watcher focuser I have installed. I know there's the Hitec DC focus controller which automates it, but that's Windows only (and I emailed them to ask about Android, they're not going to develop it). But I don't really need this automating: I just want to remote control it, as in, do what the fast/slow knob and the in/out buttons do, manually (ie not automatically), yet remotely (ie not locally, at the scope).

So, does anyone know a way to do this? I can almost imagine a Heath Robinson type contraption that has two fingers I could remotely control, to press the buttons, and another to turn the fast/slow one. There must be a way that the circuit could be accessed directly and signals passed to it, connected to some wireless-enabled device, which would then enable me to get a nice sharp focus without having to be present at the scope. Thing is, I expect this would need knowledge of soldering, low-level coding etc, maybe using a Raspberry Pi or some such thing.

Or am I completely bonkers in suggesting this? I'm bonkers, right?

... and this seems to be where I can buy it! https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p7628_Shoestring-FCUSB-Focus-Motor-Controller.html

Costs a bit more than I expected, but I can see that, if this is attached to my little, ancient Windows notebook PC, which isn't being used for anything and has great battery life, then that's my wireless, remote, manual focusser sorted.

Hmmm. I wonder if I can get away with buying yet another bit of kit... (strokes chin...)

Edited by BrendanC