NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ZWO or Altair Cameras

I went for ASI, couple of times and I'm happy so far.

My first dedicated astro camera was QHY and it was planetary type. It worked but I had issues with drivers and it was quirky.

I replaced it with ASI185 and everything just worked, so I was rather happy about it - or to put it differently - that is the way device should to work - without any issues.

Next I got myself ASI178mcc (cooled version) - and that one worked well. There were some issues, but nothing to do with camera - poor USB 3.0 cable was the reason and camera experienced random disconnects / reconnects. I replaced USB 3.0 cable and added good USB 3.0 hub and haven't had any issues since.

Same thing happened with my ASI1600mmc - USB disconnects/reconnects - and it was more severe than with ASI178mcc, but again it was all resolved when I replaced USB cables and added hub.

Have no experience with Altair cameras, and at the time I was making my decision about cameras - I went for reliability and driver stability so I've chosen ASI over QHY back then.

HTH