NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Rubber Eye Cup Needed?

I'm using a friend's Meade 114 EQ1-B telescope at the moment and the rubber eye cup on the MA25mm eyepiece has perished, it being nearly a 20 year old telescope. 

What I find is that sometimes I'm looking through the centre of the eyepiece and the image disappears, but reappears on the periphery. There's a lot of lights out my back door that I can't switch off and I was wondering if it's stray light getting into the eyepiece that causing the problem? 

I had my eye test last year and everything appeared to be normal. I don't normally wear glasses, only for reading and not whilst viewing. Could it be an eye relief problem as well. Would a replacement eye cup work, do you think? 

DSC_1913.JPG

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, joe aguiar said:

My thinking is its probably the eye rielf if your hovering over the ep then your probably missing the fov sometimes.

If u got the eye cup back on your eye could sit or at least know where it I'd to the ep lens.

Joejaguar 

I'll order something off of eBay to fit as a replacement eye cup. 😉

21 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

I would not throw any real money at this eyepiece.

There are are better eyepeices around for not a lot of money - asuming you want to keep using this or another scope.

HTH, David.

My friend has ordered a Meade 4000 15mm Plossl, which will coming shortly. The replacement eye cup will be coming via China, so it won't be expensive.