Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bubble and M52 in Ha/OIII

rickwayne

I'll try to throttle the "Oh it's nothing really", but it really WAS supposed to just be a test of my mount's repairs. Pleased to report that between the repairs and running PHD2's Guiding Assistant, I was guiding down around 1-1.2" RMS in RA and 0.8" in DEC, which sadly is WAY better than I was getting before. Hope I can get better still.

But since I had to point it at something, I pointed it at the Bubble and the M52 cluster. This is maybe a 50% crop of the FOV from the Stellarvue at 368mm and the 183; plate solving was cranky on the second night when I was collecting OIII data so there was only maybe 60-70% overlap. Full deets on Astrobin if you like.

Focusing still a challenge through the NB filters, the Bahtinov image is more like a line of dots than a spike and of course having to wait 5-10 seconds between images makes it harder to run the feedback loop between my brain and the focuser. Also, I think there were high thin clouds degrading it somewhat. I ran the OIII at 270 gain and not quite double the exposure time (Ha was at unity gain of 110), but there still seemed to be very little there, there. I've seen bicolor Bubbles with a lot more color so maybe I just need to expose even more, and just remove all the stars from that channel.

(Hmm. Unsuccessful throttling, there.)

bubble_combined.jpg

Edited by rickwayne
  • Like 7