NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

8x42 vs 10x50 for light polluted skies

As the title says I'm wondering if 8x42 (reasonably good lightweight roof prisms) will be ok for  light polluted skies in the UK, or whether 10x50 (porros) are better.

Also, for the occasional visit to dark skies, whether the choice still stands?

And what would I see with each?

Thanks

Both have essentially the same exit pupil, so should perform similarly in terms of the brightness of the background, and therefore surface brightness of the objects you can spot. The 10x50 will have the edge in terms of numbers of stars resolved in open clusters, and show more stars in general. They are slightly harder to hold steady, of course (although I routinely use my 16x80s hand held)

3 hours ago, Joggerman said:

As the title says I'm wondering if 8x42 (reasonably good lightweight roof prisms) will be ok for  light polluted skies in the UK, or whether 10x50 (porros) are better.

Also, for the occasional visit to dark skies, whether the choice still stands?

And what would I see with each?

Thanks

Michael, who replied above, has steadier hands than I do. I regard 10x as my hand held maximum mag and nowadays prefer 8x - but this might not apply to you.

I'm happy with 8x42 but have used 10x50 as well. It's a question of slightly less shake versus slightly more light. Neither is life changing in my view.

Olly