Binary Galaxy & NGC 6811 Open Cluster

cloudsweeper

Good to get out again, this time with the 10" Dob, just after 5.00pm.  Started at Sadalbari (Mu Pegasi), then hopped to the region of NGC 7332, an edge-on lenticular galaxy with a bulge.  A bright triangle of stars pointed south towards its location, and a further star immediately to its south revealed the location.  On going from x42 to x64, a small pale patch was very evident - bingo!  Later, it became clearer when I used up to x106.

NGC 7332 is part of a binary galactic system, with the other galaxy NGC 7339 5' from it.  They are in mutual orbit.  NGC 7339 is fainter, and I knew the precise location, but saw no sign of it, even much later when the sky was a lot darker.  A good result nonetheless, which I doubt I would have achieved without the large aperture.

Next, Fawaris in Cygnus (well placed, high, west).  A short hop led to the open cluster NGC 6811 ("Hole in a Cluster").  There is a bright attractive grouping right by this, but 6811 is denser and fainter, and the central stars are all faint, hence the name.  It was clearer on going from x42 to x71 as the exit pupil dropped and contrast increased.

In total, three very enjoyable hours on a mild, still evening with a fairly clear sky, and another galaxy bagged!

Doug.

• Like 8