NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New (second-hand) piece of kit has arrived

Snapped up a 0.6x focal reducer from ABS-UK. It has just arrived with just a few marks on the tube (as advertised) but optically perfect.

IMG_20191005_115701.thumb.jpg.794b524e5798239bbdcead067e6cd3dc.jpg

This will transform my APM 80 mm F/6 triplet into an F/3.6. It should still cover the chip of my Canon EOS 550D, but allow faster, wider-field imaging. I also want to use it with the ASI183MC for deep sky. It might not be cooled, but should beat my previous combo of Canon EOS 550D, APM 80 mm F/6 with 0.8x focal reducer (so F/4.8, effectively). Unusually, the forecast for Sunday night is clear. Fingers crossed.

• Like 3

OK, this just doesn't seem to reach infinity focus with the DSLR 😕. I have just found a replacement focuser which is 20 mm shorter, and can handle double the payload. It is even priced €36 off, so ordering it was inevitable, I suppose, especially when you have just sold an item of your kit which covers the cost. Resisting temptation? I've heard of it. Doesn't seem to happen much around here, these days 😜

• Like 1