Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best type of filter for a ZWO 294 OSC?

mantrain

Hello, would an Ha 6nm filter be good for the type of camera I have, for moderately light polluted sky? I have a regular LBP but I am thinking about a neb type filter. The one I found used is Astronomic and only $135 but the Triad filter is so much more expensive. But is a Ha filter like 1 /3 as effective as a triad, since that is a singe versus tri-band? Maybe compared to a triad a single band is useless?

Single-band filters are best used with a mono camera as they are letting through just a single wavelength and mono cameras are more sensitive. The duo (and to some extent triad) filters work on a colour camera because they are capturing different wavelengths on different colored pixels. With the duo filter you can separate these wavelengths - basically, the red channel is Ha and the green and blue channels contain the Oiii. The triad filter adds another wavelength, but it is really just "muddying the waters" because (1) you cannot separate it and (2) you are spoiling one of your others. If the third band is Sii, that is red and it is mixed with Ha, if the third band is Hb, that is mixed with the Oiii.