Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Astro 6 FI SCT - Accessories?

Hi @hm1975 and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

If you have not already got a dew-shield, then this is a must have. SCT's & Mak's are notorious dew magnets. They can be purchased ready made, (it does not necessarily have to be a Celestron branded one), or you can make one yourself from an exercise/yoga mat.

The dew shield.

Before buying a load of non-essential accessories, wait till you have tried using the scope, which if you live in the UK may be in a few weeks'  time. ☹️

I anticipate that you will want a couple of higher powered eyepieces (cue long discussion thread...)   something like a 15mm and a 8mm. How much to spend? depends on how much you like spending money. It's not a demanding scope - I have found that Celestron Omni Plossls work well enough.  I see that it comes with a couple of  eyepieces but I'd not expect them to be very good - the higher powered kit eyepieces I got with my scopes were generally poor.

And some sort of proper external power supply - it doesn't matter what, so long as it reliably delivers the correct voltage for a sensible length of time.  A lot of people use engine starters (from Halfords etc) which do the same as a Celestron power tank, but are cheaper (and start your car, inflate tyres, or whatever).

Don't bother with Barlow lenses - it has a long Fl already.

Edited by Cosmic Geoff