Question about multiple images

Hello all,

I'm coming back to the hobby and looking to get more into the AP side of things, and I had one (probably stupid) question...

When imaging a DSO, is there any reason why you couldn't take 1 (albeit good) image and copy it multiple times and process that?

Like i say probably a daft question.

Cheers

Andy

18 minutes ago, Andypeck101 said:

Hello all,

I'm coming back to the hobby and looking to get more into the AP side of things, and I had one (probably stupid) question...

When imaging a DSO, is there any reason why you couldn't take 1 (albeit good) image and copy it multiple times and process that?

Like i say probably a daft question.

Cheers

Andy

You can, but you won't get anything by using multiple copies of same image - well, you'll get exactly that same image - as if you used only that single sub for processing.

Point of stacking multiple exposures is that each one has random noise and you are looking for average value of those random samples. With copying same image you'll get multiple copies of exact same number - and average of same number repeating is that exact number - so you won't reduce noise present in that image.

Archived