Desiccating eyepiece from film cannister

Fraunhoffer

I found a old 35mm film cannister and following an idea elsewhere on this forum made a simple desiccating bung to go in the end of the tube to help keep the insides dry.
(I decided to make it since the inside side of my diagonal started to mist up the other night when viewing near the zenith for a long time).

Drilling holes split the plastic tube and so in the end I slowly carved the holes with a modelling knife and a needle file, (I suppose melting holes with an old soldering iron would also work)  making sure the holes were smaller than the sachets I plan to use.

Cleaned the finished item to remove any swarf and dust and popped it in the 37mm eyepiece holder.

I also taped on the lid to reduce any risk that I pop the lid off and the whole lot slides inside the telescope due to my clumsy handling - waaahh.

Regards

WP_20190218_11_47_43_Pro.thumb.jpg.19891a96ba4ff3ca5b65e6a32f27af3c.jpg

Archived