Playing with my new 35 mm f/1.2

The sky cleared briefly last night and I've been waiting to try this out, so jumped out with a normal tripod for some static shots from the orange sky urban back garden near Heathrow.
After reading countless reviews I opted for the Samyang 35mm f/1.2 - partly as a daytime lens (ohh that boket) -  and also to capture most of a constellation in one frame for my log, share with family etc.
First up was Gemini, ISO 800, f/1.4 8s exposure. The view finder seemed to show I had overexposed the background, so I tried 4s.
8s is the maximum under the '300' rule for a cropped sensor.
On returning to the computer, the background didn't seem over exposed on the 8s after all, just some v slight trails. The 4s was clearly underexposed as it only showed the main stars.
The standard Sony app has a few quick tools to tidy up the picture (jpeg attached). 

So quite pleased with this shot. Not enough for any 'wow' milky way / galaxy views but a start.
Think Ill try 6 or 8 s next time with a higher ISO-1600 and open the lens right up to 1.2 and then try stacking up to 10 frames  to see where I end up.

… waiting for the weather again ….

DSC01311 (1).JPG

Archived