NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Upgrading telescopes

Hello,

So I want to upgrade to an 8" telescope sometime in the near future. I pretty much come down to these two scopes. They are pretty much the same price and seem to come with similar accessories. I am leaning towards the High Point Scientific Apertura, but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with either telescope. 

https://www.highpointscientific.com/apertura-ad8-8inch-dobsonian-telescope-ad8?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=APT-AD8&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6ozhBRC8ARIsAIh_VC2EU3VHjuKgMONSeOtbn-QrKjOAWGbLSsquAISvBeUe4CpAX0xROFgaAntoEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/Zhumell-Deluxe-Dobsonian-Reflector-Telescope/dp/B002SCV6P6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

They are excatly the same telescope under different brandings. The manufacturer is GSO (Guan Sheng Optical). I think the accessories supplied at the same as well. Flip a coin to decide perhaps ?

In the UK these were marketed under the "Revelation" branding. Good scopes. Similar in performance to the Skywatcher dobsonians. Meade dobs (the Lightbridges) are also made by GSO and will contain the same optics as the ones that you are looking at.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 11 months later...

They are exactly the same, by GSO; different labels for different countries. "The cheaper one." GSO uses bearings for the base, which is good. Availability of either should be the only deciding factor. None of those companies, like HPS or Orion make their own 'scopes. They are made in Taiwan & China.

APERTURA=APERTURE and that's all we need. 

Apertura 12 In Resized Small.jpg

Image 1. Apertura 12 inch.

Edited by Science562h
Pic Alignment