NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone know how to..........

2 questions:

1) Know where I can obtain a cheap low profile crayford focuser (cheap means cheap i.e. <£50 if possible)

or solve the following problem

2) Make a dSLR focus (prime focus method) using a Celestron 8" Starhopper Newtonian reflector scope. For some reason I can't achieve focus, I can get close but this requires de-assembling the focuser and removing all the rings etc until all I am left with is the black core unit. Unless I get a low profile (i.e. closer to the tube) focuser then I can't see how I can overcome the problem.

Someone did mention ages ago that I could raise the level of the primary mirror by using a wooden block, would this work though?

Do you have an 2" to 1.25" Eeye Piece adapter? It's usually possible to split those in two. You should then be left with a part that can be connected to the T-ring on one side and another side that fits into the focuser. I have the same problem on my Skywatcher Explorer 200. The downside of this approach is that you cannot use filters or a MPCC. Good luck. It's a bit hard to explain bits and bobs in plain text. Just ask if anything is still unclear.

Sorry for the delay.......the focuser unit does split into two (i.e. goes from 1.25" to 2") but as far as I can tell there is no way that either can be connected to the t-ring. I have some images so I can show you my setup:

This is the focusing unit with my 1.25" eyepiece inserted and at the lowest focal slew:

t_DSC00651m_c6ef4fb.jpg

Here's the focuser with the eyepiece removed:

t_DSC00652m_7985dc6.jpg

And with the 1.25" adapter removed, leaving the 2" slot:

t_DSC00653m_ed595c9.jpg

And finally, here is an image of where I can actually achieve focus. My finger (oops) denotes the area where focusing is possible, note that I had to remover the black focusing unit from the scope tube to see if this was possible, hence the need for a slimline focuser...or other method!:

t_DSC00654m_e2b0274.jpg

Archived