Look sir...droids

I recently aquired an older Nikon DX40 digital camera and also bought this T2 ring to use on my Skywatcher 127, AZ Goto mount. The ring looks a bit like the item the stormtrooper holds up when the empire is searching for R2D2 and C-3PO on Tatooine. Hence the title of this post :).

Omegon-T2-Ring-Nikon.jpg.d25948176d003b30885dcb315311b3bb.jpg

To be perfectly honest, I did not research this properly and just assumed that this was the missing part I needed to be able to start photographing the stars. Well, half right. This T2 ring does enable me to connect my camera directly into the back of the telescope. And so, I can take pictures. But I cannot put on any filters or use other eyepeices. Very much a must, when you also want to take pictures of planets and the moon. 

So, now I turn to you guys to make sure that my next purchase is a little wiser and useful. I am thinking that this Omegon Camera Adapter is the droid I am looking for. 

Omegon-Camera-adapter-1-25-.jpg.a5d0aa5aadff4fbf8970bc048b0421cb.jpg

Do you agree?

George

For afocal, i.e. with an eyepiece then yes. Just remove the rubber eyecup from the eyepiece --> drop it in --> tighten the thumbscrew. note: not all fit, so choose carefully.

For prime-focus, i.e. no eyepiece then just attach the nosepiece to your T-ring or without an eyepiece in the tube.

You may also need a set of extension rings to acheive the correct focal distance too. 

Thanks for the reply, Philip.

I have the eyepieces that came with the telescope. A 25mm and a 10mm if memory serves (not at home at the moment).They are 1,25". Would that not mean that they fit this particular camera adapter that is also 1.25"? Or am I missing the point?

As for the extension rings; is there any way to determine beforehand if I'll need them? 

Edit: I also have a 2x Barlow.

The stock Plossl's will be ok. Just some of the more exotic design types may have issues.

I am not 100% sure about extension rings. A set of three, (each being a different length), should cost no more than a plossl eyepiece. If you see 'extension tube' don't worry - it will be the same thing.

Below is an image of Montes Appenius area of the Moon, I took severeal years ago using a 2.1MegaPixel compact camera, Meade ETX105, Meade 20mm Plossl & an eyepiece projection unit. 

p3130001-enhanced.thumb.jpg.4d5cc4989d96b52e2bb88531e6f6e710.jpg

Archived