Astrophotography Problem with New Computer

Hello all, so far I had been using a laptop computer with Windows 7 to my astrophotography sessions and everything worked fine. My setup is: Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 mount, Orion Starshoot autoguider and a Canon T3i camera, each one connected to a different USB port. I use ASCOM and EQMOD.

Now I bought a Lenovo computer with Windows 10 and two USB ports. In order to connect three equipment I am using a TPLINK hub. The problem comes when I connect the camera. When I do that, the connection with the mount is shut down. When I disconnect the camera, the connection with the mount is restablished. So, in summary, each individual equipment works fine, and even the autoguider and mount work together. But as soon as the camera is connected to a USB port, the mount is shut down.

I've tried different ways to connect the equipment to different USB ports and nothing works. Mount connected to a computer USB and camera and autoguider to the hub... camera to a computer USB and autoguider and mount to the hub... I've even tried not to connect the autoguider... nothing works. I've also tried two softwares to connect the mount: starrynight 6 and Stellarium.

Can anyone help me? I still have my old computer and I am using it with no problems.

Hi Fabiano,

The first place I'd look is your USB hub. If you search through SGL forums you'll find no shortage of posts from people with issues relating to hubs. Question: is it a powered hub (i.e., it plugs into the mains electrical supply as well as your computer's USB port), or is it unpowered (meaning it only plugs into the computer USB port)?  Many problems arise from non-powered hubs.

Nigel

Hello Nigel, the problem is not with the hub. I connected only the mount and the camera to the two USB I have in the computer (not connecting the autoguider). The same problem happened when I turned on the camera. I also tried another cable camera-usb, but it did not work...

That's a good hub so highly doubtful the issue.  From what you've said the issue always occurs when you plug in the camera?  Have you tried another camera USB lead, Canon's are notoriously fussy with the USB lead.

Hello, I tried connecting another camera (Canon 6D) and it worked! The problem seems to be with my T3i camera, then. Unfortunately my 6D is not astromodified. At least I have a hint now where I should look for a solution.

3 hours ago, Fabiano said:

Hi Nigel,

It is a powered hub: https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5522_UH700.html

I will try another hub, but unfortunately I do not have any other powered hub...

Hi Fabiano,

Good - powered hubs are less problematic. OK, seeing your other posts, it looks like you're en-route to a solution. Good luck!

Nigel

Archived