Rosette Nebula

Not sure if this falls into widefield or DSO. I went out to our club's dark site last night. The weather was forecast to be absolutely clear so of course it wasn't. To make matters worse, they've been doing controlled burns in a near by national forest so the smoke in the air wasn't helping. We had high level clouds that were thin enough that you could see the stars, but everything was still washed out and hazy. I also had trouble just locating my target due to my own ineptitude with BackyardEOS. It was the first time I had used the program. Using live view to frame and focus in that area of the sky is basically pointless. There's nothing bright enough there that the sensor can pick up so I was forced to repeatedly take 10-15 second subs to frame it, move the camera, take a sub, etc. etc. Painful. I had originally planned on getting an hour and a half of light subs and at least another hour of Ha frames. That didn't happen. What I ended up with was just 30 minutes of light frames and, of course, all my calibration frames. Without those calibration frames I doubt I would have even been able to process this picture anywhere close to what it is. Not that what it is, is anything special. While you can see the nebula, I'm more impressed with how many stars I was able to capture and how well I managed to focus them. For that reason, I chose not to crop the image down to just the nebula. Again, I had issues just acquiring it so I didn't want to mess with it just to center it. Had a hard enough time just getting it in frame.

This is from my Canon 750D/T6i, 75-300mm EF lens at 300mm, f/5.6, 15x120s light subs, mounted on an iOptron Skyguider Pro. Enjoy!

Rosette Final 4-13.jpg

Lesson learned, never post your first edit because there is guaranteed to be more detail that you can pull out. I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with the noise yet bring out the detail of fainter nebula. I know one thing that would help would be more time on target and get some Ha frames.

Rosette Final Comp 4-13.jpg

Archived