NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eq mount versus Az mount

Ian Kahler

Hello everyone

Well I think I have  the  permanent mount situation sorted, thank you again all for  your  imput.

But I thinking now that I may just abandon my equatorial mount and  just go with a  low tech... aka no tech manually operated  Azimuth mount.

I have NEVER had  any success with my Eq mount, particularly with polar alignment. Maybe  I never  had  the  fortune to actually find  a  tutorial that (a) I can understand and  (b) is simple  and  straight to the  point.

So... as  I am going to get my 5 inch refractor out of storage, I am on the  hunt now for  a reasonably sturdy Az mount. Any ideas  guys??

Ian

Good morning Ian, and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

I would think the Tele-Optic Giro Ercole or the AYO. Admittedly they are a tad pricey, but well worth it.

i do not have either, but the Tele-Optic Giro GR-DX ll. It maybe ok, but the Ercole does have a higher load capacity.

The other plus is that the mounts I have mentioned do have the option to dual mount in a 'side-by-side' configuration. The AYO has the option to add encoders at a later date too.

Archived