NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Equipment storage

Hello all

This may sound a silly question but I recently bought some new equipment eg scopes , diagonals , eyepieces etc and I keep them in a garage which is dry but very cold in the winter. I cover the dob with a cellophane bag and the diagonals, eyepieces etc I keep in the boxes they came in and wrapped in the cellophane they came in.Should I remove the cellophane and just keep them in their boxes in case condensation gets to them when the garage gets really cold in the winter.

Also might it be a good idea to get some packs of dessicant to absorb any moisture that may be around. (B & Q sell dessicant in tubs to absorb condensation around windows.)

Vlebo

I realy can't give you a thorough answer, but I can tell you about my arrangement, which may help you to decide.

I am a balcony astronomer -- I keep my big Cassegrain year round in our glassed over balcony. I have a soft hood made of fleece-lined moisture proof canvas thrown over the scope when it's not used. The star diagonal is always fitted on the scope with the protective cap on. All the other gear I keep inside in room temperature. Thus the eyepieces wont get fogged by warm breath. I've had no problems with this setup whatsoever.

Cheers, Tikkis

Cheers Tikkis

I have put all my odds and sods in a cupboard in my garage which keeps them dry and insulated and I will be getting another wardrobe for the Dob and Equinox with a light bulb inside for when it gets below 0 degrees to keep the cold out.

Thanks

Vlebo

Archived