NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Power supply

wimvb

I was getting tired of the cable spaghetti after adding another new toy. As I (only) image from home with a portable-ish setup, I power everything from the mains. Rather than buying yet another 2A 12V power supply with dangling cables, I decided to replace everything with one if these

https://www.amazon.com/MEAN-WELL-RS-150-12-Supply-Single/dp/B00DECSE8G

(For the Scandinavians: bought from Kjell.com)

After a bit of tinkering, I now have a 4 output power box with fuse on each output. It comfortably powers my mount, camera, and scope fan, and still has one output left. All ouputs are 12V car plugs.

IMG_20170927_090844.thumb.jpg.364ef5a428b493d2f564b1f3392ccf15.jpg

From top the power box, the Raspberry Pi with INDI, and the Arduino focus controller.

The last output will probably be used for powering the Pi and Arduino. Atm the Pi is powered from a usb hub, and the Arduino from a separate 9V supply. The SW dc motor focuser uses 9V, but the motor is presumably rated for 12V. It's just that at full speed it may run a little too fast for comfort. I will have to add pwm to the Arduino sketch. Yet another item on my cloudy-nights list.

So far, the few field tests that I've been able to do are very promising. The stand is a temporary fiber board, that isn't too happy about being dragged out onto a lawn...

Archived