NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing Journal

MarkRadice

Hi all,

As a keen observer, I like to keep an Observing Journal – even if my wife mockingly calls it my colouring book!!   There is something about the tacit feel of writing or sketching on paper that I really enjoy.  The journal serves 2 purposes:

Firstly, recording an observation be it a distant galaxy clusters or witnessing storms on Mars first hand.  Seeing these distant celestial sights gives a sense of awe to the human condition. Capturing these events ensures they are kept for posterity and, after I have submitted them to the BAA, means they actually serve some value rather than filling up a drawer in my observatory.  I also record other details such as being joined by friends, encounters with wildlife or seeing a bright meteor as I watch the milky way rise.  These records are fun to peruse in months and years to come.  Without them, I am sure I would have forgotten so many interesting and fun observing sessions. 

Not only does my journal provide a record of my observations, I can see how my observing skill has increased over time.  Details and features that I missed in my earlier days are now quite obvious.  Spending the time to make a sketch also gives a greater affinity to the target.  I recall how I independently discovered (albeit a few centuries late!) NGC 604 – the bright star cloud in M33 while making a sketch a few years ago.  If I hadn’t taken the time to mark all the field stars and the subtle spiral arms, I am sure that I would have missed this bright but small feature.  I now make the point of looking for it (and NGC 206 in M31) whenever I am observing and see what else I can see.

Anyway, I am thinking about designing a bespoke journal and have compiled a series of requirements / needs.  As there are several other “show us” threads, would you mind showing what you use to make or record an observation and what features you like – or need to have?

Here is mine as a starter for 10 - including a sketch of Baade's window just off the teapot made in southern Spain last week.

A5 heavyweight, hard bound, spiral notebook from local art store

Propelling pencil – always sharp for drawing stars

Hard pencil for nebulosity - both these pencils are handmade (not by me I hasten to add) and given to me as presents

Blending stump also for nebulosity 

Eraser

Eraser shield

Gum eraser for more tailored erasing

Clip on red light with several layers of red tape to dim it down.  Very useful as I don’t need to hold it while making a sketch.  [This isn't in the pic as its in the obsy and it's raining at the mo!!]

Features I’d like:

Something to hold the pencils etc so I don’t spend all my time fishing them in and out of my pockets

Observing log.JPG

Archived