Eyepiece Upgrade for Celestron EQ90

Jacko65

Hi Everyone,

This subject has probably been done to death but here goes:

I've just bought a Celestron EQ90 Refractor to carry with me to out of the way dark spots. I am fully aware of the limitations of this type of scope but it was an absolute bargain and was bought more for portability as one of my viewing spots is quite a hike from the car. Anyway, without spending too much....which eyepieces would be ideal as an immediate upgrade in image quality from the stock 10 and 20mm that come with the scope, and also is it worth upgrading them ?. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jacko

Eyepieces are awful to recommend. Comes down to how much per eyepiece and how many. Then comes do you intend or expect to upgrade again in 4 to 6 months - in which case get the second lot now and forget the first.

The scope appears to be f/11, well f/11.1 to be exact. You should be fairly OK with a fairly standard plossl. But there are lots of them.

GSO plossls are usually considered fair, try Rother Valley, thing they sell them.

Then consider the plossls from Skys the Limit, Alan runs it. They are £23 to £40 each. Although he has a leser cost one at £13.

Then there are the Vixen NPL (Plossls) from FLO very nice eyepieces, think they are at around the £45 mark.

At around the £40+ mark I would consider just getiing the BST Starguiders from Sky's the Limit which are £49, but they will do you for years to come. In a way they are upgrades to plossl's.

Rother Valley do Antares Plossls at £22-£30, not GSO it seems. Antares are good.

Do you wear glasses and need the eye relief?? If so then you may need to just consider the BST Starguiders from the start.

Focal length and number of: I suggest 4, and using the Antares then 10mm, 12.5mm, 17mm and 30mm. The Skies the Limit ones come in the same focal lengths - means they could be the same.

What is it you are intending to look at, just as Jupiter is not convenient in the evening at present I would say the 12.5mm and the 30mm, then when Jupiter appears and if happy with the eyepieces chosen get the 10mm for a bit more magnification, although Jupiter is fine at 60 and above in reality.

If you went to the BST Starguiders then the 12mm and the 25mm.

Hi Ronin,

Many thanks for the prompt reply.

Lots to consider but I think I'm going to go for the BST Starguiders . I'm about to purchase a larger better quality refractor for home use mostly so these will come in handy for that as well.

I've just sold my "8" Dobsonian (Not portable enough) to help fund my new Refractor which I think will probably end up as the Bresser Messier AR-127S/635 (for portability). Do you think these eyepieces will suit this model?

Many thanks for your advice, as you can probably tell I'm no expert so need all the help I can get.

Kind Regards

Jacko

Hi Jacko and welcome to the forum :smiley:

For just under £50 apiece (less on the used market) the BST Starguider eyepieces which are a good step up from the stock eyepieces that come with the scope.

They also work pretty well with faster scopes such as the Bresser 127mm F/5 refractor that you are considering. They won't be perfect at that focal ratio, but not bad at all for their price.

You will see some false colour with that scope of course, but that won't be due to the eyepieces.

Archived