NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jellyfishing!

Stub Mandrel

Spongebob's favourite Deep Sky Object.

80% best of 62 2-minute subs, afflicted a bit by thin cloud/haze so sky wasn't very dark, even with the moon down. I've missed much of the 'tendrils' and I don't want to overprocess to get them out. Took teh gamble of removing my LP filter as the street lighting is still switched off, much less gradient than when the lights were on.

Jellyfish Nebula.png

jellyfishing-fun-5.JPG?quality=0.75

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Missed this one. Looks nice, but I wonder what caused the line across the lower part of the image.

So do I - it is actually curved and leads to the star on the left (Tejat) which has diffraction spikes the other star doesn't have. I have a vague suspicion that it may be the washing line :blush:

I'm going to try some different staking permutations and see if it disappears.

Hmm. First observation - nearly two hours of subs and very little drift, and Tejat stays very close to the edge of the frame. I wonder if that is the cause of the 'extra' diffraction spike - some reflection off the edge of the frame - and the mystery line?

OK, a bit of spot healing and clone stamping BEFORE doing anything other than initial; stretch and gradex is something of a cure:

Jellyfish Nebula 70.png

Archived