550D cold finger design.

Adam J

I have just purchased a 550D and am intending to cool it. It has the same sensor as the 600D and 650D but suffers due to its body design that tends to cause to to warm up more that the later cameras during longer exposures. 

The gap between the rear of the sensor and the circuit board is very small on the 550D in comparison to the 450D. This means that any cold finger has to be extremely thin (~0.3mm) this in my mind is not sufficient. 

I have noted that the only attachment between the two is a row of IC 'legs' that form the sensor interface. I am thinking about cutting these and extending them by 1mm to allow a decent sized cold finger access to the back of the CMOS sensor. This should be entirely possible from a practical point of view but what I am worried about is changing some impedance value and making the sensor more noisy in the process. 

Anyone every tried this? Or for that matter cooled a 550D at all?

Archived