Cooling for Modded SPC900nc Questions

pete98

Know this has been discussed in other threads, but thought best to start a new one.

Have ordered everything I should need for the outstanding mod described here: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/109153-spc900-lxmod-yesyes-style/?page=1 and btw want to say congrats to the OP for his outstanding work.

I have been looking at this and other threads on the modded camera for quite some time.  I attempted the PCV645 mod, and while it wasn't a total disaster, it didn't work either. Was going to resurrect the project until I realized I would have to be stuck with XP.

Other then the simplicity of the SPC900 camera mod, what has always gotten my attention is the little fans I would see attached to the end result.  My first impression would be "isn't that going to shake??"

So now that the project is in the works, have to address that, and some other questions.

So first question to all those who might know.  Assuming I use a decent quality fan, in a Prime Focus application  (8" vintage Celestron black tube if that has any bearing), will the scope experience any shaking from the fan.

With all the projects out there that have used fans, going to assume the answer will be no.

Placement of fan(s).  Have read some posts where people have indicated there is a need to get air flow over 2 chips, and not just one.  Seems to me this would be better accomplished by having a fan mounted on the side of the unit vs on the top, or bottom.  In other words have my air flow going across this part of the unit pictured below, and not down onto it.

Not sure how much air flow I should be looking to achieve here, and not sure if I should be considering a push or pull fan.  Do want either an intake or exhaust vent on the other side of the housing.

have been looking at these items pictured below. (apologizes, am having a hard time figuring out how to place the pics in the body of the post)

When I do my build, will not be trying to use the smallest case available, but rather one that will allow me to get the best air flow over those parts that need it.

Application for the project (assuming it works) will be primarily Polar Alignment.  I do have a DSLR (canon eos 300d), but it lacks live view. 

vent.jpgspc900nc coooling.jpg

vent.jpg

spc900nc coooling2.jpg

Steve Chambers website might have the info you need - he's the guy who originated webcam mods afaik:

http://www.pmdo.com/wintro.htm

And Andy Ellis produced them commercially until he discontinued the service (might find useful info here):

http://astronomiser.co.uk/toucam.htm

I have one of the spc900's modded (including the fan) from Andy and it works fine with no noticeable vibrations. But I'm not an electronics person so hope those websites can help you. :)

Archived