A Few DSS Questions

The deeper I get into DSS the more frustrating the lack of documentation becomes in my search for imaging perfection :icon_bigsmurf:.

Once I have run through stacking once a master dark, flat and bias appear. Can I just keep & use those three and lose all those memory hungry subs?

The advanced tab used to offer various debayering options including 'bayer drizzle' which seems intriguing. I'd like to compare different debayering algorithms - is this still possible?

Is there a better way of adjusting the RGB and luminance settings? It is really hard to move them one step at a time with the mouse, the cursor keys don't do anything and you can't type in values yet now and again an intermediate value would really help.

Bayer drizzle can be a very powerful tool. I generally prepare for it when integrating my subs.

The (only) debayering method that isn't compatible with Bayer drizzle is the superpixel method.

There is a discussion on the PixInsight forum about this, and what it can do to improve images.

Even if you don't use PI, the general discussion of Bayer drizzle (the part that is not software specific) should apply to any implementation.

BTW, Bayer drizzle doesn't imply that you end up with an image that is double the size in width and height. But you probably already knew that. :icon_biggrin:

4 hours ago, wimvb said:

Bayer drizzle can be a very powerful tool. I generally prepare for it when integrating my subs.

BTW, Bayer drizzle doesn't imply that you end up with an image that is double the size in width and height. But you probably already knew that. :icon_biggrin:

Yes, I understand that it just uses the RGB information for each pixel rather than interpolating, which should work fine with my 120-odd sub images.

Unfortunately I can't find it in DSS 3.3.2, the tutorial on line uses an older version.

9 hours ago, wimvb said:

It is under Settings - RAW/FITS DDP Settings.

Let me know how it works out for you, I'd be interested to see the results.

I'll disappoint you - the results looked absolutely atrocious, even using 127 subs, swirling lines and glowing patches of colour that appeared to have no relation to the images produced with normal debayering. :-(

Archived