Dear All

I had another try at the Milky way last weekend. This time i used an RX10M3 and went to the high mountains. Difference in sky darkness (hope this is how to describe it) compared to where i live is incredible.

Unfortunately only one hour of imaging was possible as dew started collecting on the lens. Need to figure out how to prevent it.

This is Cassiopeia constellation with Andromeda, 12x 20s ISO 1600 f/2.4 8.8mm.

kasiopeja_processed_1r.jpeg

This is Eagle constellation, 20x 15s ISO 3200 f/2.4 8.8mm.

MilkyWay_cropped_r.jpg

Dark corrected and post-processing done with PixInsight. Could not get any colours out, do not know if its lack of signal or processing skills.

Thanks for watching.

Andrej

• 2 weeks later...

Nice images.

If you own a soldering iron, you can make a cheap dew strap by soldering 10 1500 Ohm resistors (1/8 W)  in parallell. Solder with resistors some 1.5" or 3 cm apart. Used with a 12 V battery, this gives a strap of 1W power. That's enough to keep a normal camera lens or secondary mirror dew free. Sandwich the resistors between two pieces of velcro with adhesive back and attach a cable for the battery. With this low power, there's no need to make a power control.

The second of your images has enough colour that can be enhanced by processing:

http://pixinsight.com.ar/en/info/processing-examples/19/crux-southern-cross.html

Thanks for sharing

Archived