Hello :)

PinkNinja

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Carolyn,  

Welcome to the SGL.  You'll certainly enjoy the imaging.  After being a visual observer for many years, I started AP last year and find it very addictive.  Although I've spent a fair bit of money getting myself set up, I'm finding myself getting outside much more than I used to, so consider it money well spent.  It also allows me to share the images with friends on Facebook and they love it too.  I'll always give a brief description and explain what an images is about.  You never know, it may introduce more people into the hobby. 

John

THanks John.  AP is certainly very tempting.  Maybe I can get some of my students interested by sharing my images.  I have four classes doing an astronomy or astrophysics topic at various levels next term so an ideal opportunity to get them interested.  If I can get a few images, even if they are just of the moon to start with, then even better :) 

8 hours ago, PinkNinja said:

THanks John.  AP is certainly very tempting.  Maybe I can get some of my students interested by sharing my images.  I have four classes doing an astronomy or astrophysics topic at various levels next term so an ideal opportunity to get them interested.  If I can get a few images, even if they are just of the moon to start with, then even better :) 

Getting your students interested that way sounds like a great idea.  For the moon and planets, using a webcam with the telescope to capture lots of fast frames, then stacking to eliminate those where the atmosphere is misbehaving, can be very rewarding.   I always explain to people how long the light has taken to reach us.  For example, an image of the Hercules globular cluster M13, I tell them that the light has taken around 25 thousand years to reach us, so they are looking at something as it was back in the Stone Age.  This can be quite fascinating to the uninitiated, and it still is to me too :icon_biggrin:

Archived