SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SAC10 camera

Ajohn

:? I've just bought one of these 2nd hand un seen. Any one have any opinion of them?

It looks ideal for my needs. Deep sky and very long focal length planetary work. Not bothered about the usb1 aspects. The resolution makes it more suitable for binning. :mrgreen: Wish I hadn't used that word.

The seller is a bit worrisome. Asked for a paypal receipt - didn't get one. Asked for when and how shipped - no answer. Suppose I will have to phone. I can't understand why some don't communicate after a sale. At least he is about on the web so things should be OK.

John

John, is this the one that has been on the A B&S site? It's a small world astronomy, should unduly worry unless it doesn't turn up. I thought AB&S are usually on the ball when it comes to keeping their eyes open for possible scams- I don't see this being the case. :) Nice kit too !!

Karlo

I phoned there isn't any problem. It's on it's way together with some info the seller thinks I will find useful when I start. I didn't intend to buy a cold camera but at £250 for £800 worth it's a much better deal than a new one. They can be repaired in the states too. The UK sellers tried to put me off - and tried to sell me a £250 video camera. No good for me as the chip was too small. I have an interest in very long focal length planetary work and it should be ideal for that. It should also fit in well with the megrez for the usual things too but maybe a bit short on field. I was just going to stick with the canon dslr I've had for a long time but why not.

I had also been nosing at the philips ccd web cam the <1 lux one. Interestingly it's best bought of philips on line. Not ebay or any of the shops. Philipd give free postage. Pixmania actually bump up the price when it comes to checkout. New trick that. A 1 lux camera for £50 is quite something. The reason for the performance is that it uses a bipolar rather than cmos ccd - the chip will probably have less noise than the sac10 which uses a cmos chip.

John

If thats the phillips SP900C your talking about I just picked one up from an ebay seller thats knocking them out brand new and boxed for £29.95, add the postage and your talking a smidgen under £35 delivered, lightning quick delivery as well.

It's an spc900nc/00 so I'm not sure if it's the same camera. On earlier models philips graded them to <1,<2 and <3 lux so pass. They only seem to do I true ccd camera now.

I looked on ebay and couldn't find any at the price you mentioned - I did see that the model you mentioned had sold for that.

Actually I just bought one - for a guide camera amongst other things. No where else seems to have them in stock and Philips did have 5 left. Slow process though. Order sent to Euro Hub on Tues when ordered over the weekend. Then gets shipped to UK and then me. Free postage and tracking though out though.

John

Archived