SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Space and Astronomy local festival

ChrisLX200

Our local annual festival (Barnaby fortnight) is running on a Space and Astronomy theme this year, which was great for stirring interest in all areas related to it. It's a very busy weekend with all sorts of events scattered around Macclesfield town centre, and not to be left out our Astronomy Society put on a display in the Town Hall. I was stood by my own astrophotography display for 4 hours until my back sadly gave up and I had to retire (I have a crushed lumbar disc which gives me pain if stood too long). I hope to continue tomorrow after giving it a rest :-) Later in the day at about 1:00pm there was a parade with a space theme, great to see kids with home-made cardboard telescopes and floats depicting the planets and all manner of related things like rocket ships and aliens!

I took some photos first thing before it got busy...

We _were_ going to have a live imaging session with time booked on telescopes located in Australia and Hawaii but would you believe it - both sites clouded/rained out today! Better luck next time :-)

IMG_0943_zpsgkuwzoyw.jpg

There were meteorites and NASA Moon rocks on display:

IMG_0936_zps44fspsp0.jpg

IMG_0941_zpsqvmsffyv.jpg

Some astro-related pictures for sale:

IMG_0940_zpscheyss2k.jpg

IMG_0939_zpsjpwomsre.jpg

Activities for kids and society displays:

IMG_0938_zps2l6vx0v2.jpg

IMG_0942_zps4n5vbgbw.jpg

My own astrophotography display (The Mayor came to visit and I took the opportunity to point out the importance of having dark skies and reducing light pollution in order to take pictures like these LOL!) :

IMG_0933_zpszxrzlvpg.jpg

IMG_0934_zpskqkcmq9y.jpg

IMG_0935_zpsp6orxcqb.jpg

and just a few pictures from the parade:

IMG_0947_zps7xs888ab.jpg

IMG_0951_zpsc1xpnqkh.jpg

IMG_0953_zpsmtj0hbth.jpg

IMG_0956_zps2zgiag4o.jpg

IMG_0959_zpsveap7rsx.jpg

IMG_0960_zpsdnazuxad.jpg

IMG_0963_zpsbe0yvmvb.jpg

IMG_0965_zpsqtso0ifc.jpg