NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn after a LOT of careful work

I wish I had kept the original AVIs from last year's Saturn images, but anyway I have delved into WinJupos, used my colour-balancing skills in PS and learned how to get an artificial Luminosity layer using Lab and split-channels in Photo-paint, sharpened the luminosity layer in Astra and discovered a temperate band, then stirred it all back together.

So... this is the end result, any critical comments welcome - my feeling is that the rings are slightly distorted and a better result would have the cassini division clearer.

2016-05-26-2321_3.png

I think it's the combination of 3x drizzle and the website displaying it even larger than it really is. Seeing was rock steady, but even so this is what a single video frame looked like due to the low altitude. As you can see, the basic shape is pretty undistorted but the noise and dispersion are bad:

raw saturn video.png

Archived