NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ZWOASI120MM marks

Last time I was trying my ZWO camera out, I noticed some marks on the screen in sharpcap that looked like they might have been dust. No biggie, they were just interfering with the target, so I thought I would give the glass a clean. Which I did..... but still, in sharpcap, I get some strange spots on the screen when the camera is plugged in. I have carefully cleaned the sensor cover a couple of times, but this has no effect. The marks seem to change shape and size as the camera is moved into different angles. Are these just imperfections in the glass? I would presume things like that woudl disappear when focused on a distant object but the fact that there were "dust" spots in the way when trying to image Jupiter, I am not so sure.

Tried to capture what I mean in these photos - taken with the camera and Sharpcap - no lens/scope.

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Part of me is worried that this is going to affect imaging, but the other part of me thinks I am probably just trying to find issues where there are none!

Cheers

Mark

And still  it is  dust ! ASI120MM and ASI120MC have this problem. It is very hard to clean the glass, and after done... it will need again to be clean.

You must be patient and use jet of air, wooden with cotton (cotton swab).

My experience says that usually you only move the position of the dust: from one position to another. So, try to move it to the borders. You can do it seeing the image as showed above by you. You can see the cotton tool touch the dust and see its movement. Do it with alive view.

I usually remove the black protective foam around the sensor (it is the culprit of these dusts) to clean. This protective foam can be easily removed. I replace it at the original position after the cleaning task.

Beat, with finger, this removed protective foam will reduce the incidence. As we do to clean a carpet.

find issues where there are none

It is a true issue. They will be present on the surface of planet. Sorry, it is a real issue.

Cheers - I don't have any black protective foam, but will just have to try cleaning again. The spots didn't move at with cleaning using lens cleaner and a soft cloth. Might have to try and cotton bud and some Baader Wonder Fluid or similar...but it is going to be really annoying if I can't get rid of them and they keep showing up when trying to use it for imaging....

All part of the fun I guess! :-)

Maybe I am using wrong words in english language. I found some images that can explain better what I tried to mean as "protective foam". My ASI is similar to the right photo.

The photo on the left suggests that the problem was solved. I hope !

asi-interior.jpg

Archived