NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

OTA and DSO Cam - Help me spend some money.

Hi All,

I think I'm going to be forced into retirement soon so I'd like to expand my setup before the money runs out!

To the kit in my sig I think I'd like to add a decent refractor, something like an ED80,  (80 for portability) and a half-decent astro camera for DSO AP. I believe I should get a field flattener for the ota as well, if a flattener is really necessary for someone at my level? The Altair Astro GPCAM will do me for planetary, unless a DSO cam will do planetary as well.

My budget will be £1500 in total, so I'm being realistic and not expecting high-end here.

Any suggestions?

Tx,

Neil.

As for cameras - DS setup needs a guider, and a guide cam can also be a planetary camera if picked correctly (GPCam is one of the options).

You can pick a ED/APO refractor with dedicated field flattener or just pick a refractor with a built in flattener like the TSAPO65Q. If you will go with a dedicated DS camera like one of mono Atiks (314L+ or newer, 320E) then picking small refractors also helps to get nice field of view while making the setup even lighter and easier to use. That AZ-EQ5 should easily handle such small setup. Telescopes like GSO 6" RC are also an option for the future if you would want to target small objects at higher resolutions.

Archived