Modify Your Scopes

Darthdad8409

I am thinking of making some modifications to my ETX-90.  I am going to replace the stock finder scope with a different finder scope and I am pretty sure that if I place the new finder scope in the same area as the stock finder scope I shouldn't have any problems with the fork arms. I am unsure of how to attach the new viewfinder. I don't think double stick tape would be enough and I am afraid of trying to drill into the scope to attach the new view finder. Has anyone replaced the stock view finder on their scopes and if how did you attach the new bracket?

I modified my ETX 80 to add a finder scope.  Ironically it's an ETX 90 finder (or something similar) that I got from AstroBoot.  It's held in a plastic housing that I drilled and used a self tapping screw to secure to the rear en of the ETX 80.  If you take the back end of you should be able to see if everything is clear, so long as it is I wouldn't be too shy of drilling into the OTA.  Just make sure nothing would snag with any projecting bolt heads and watch out for swarf getting to the optics.

Jim

Archived