Counterweight Bar Dovetail Clamp Attachment

Tommohawk

Hi All. 

I'm trying to sort a portable rig with guiding, but for various reasons am looking at an EQ3 synscan, rather than one of the specific travel types. I want to fix the guidescope to the couterweight bar, as this is a neat way of reducing overall weight. My current guidescope is an ST80, which is really too big for this so will probably change to a 50mm or 70mm Orion F3.9. 

TS optics and Geoptik do a clamp which goes onto the counterweight bar which looks good. In travel mode I would have the 70mm guide scope on the CW bar, and my EOD 550D with F2.8 300m lens on top. The camera/lens combo is about 3kg, and the guide scope + CCD is about 1kg, so to balance, I could either extend the bar or add a small weight ar a bit of both.

Ideally I would also use this set up on the HEQ5, ie the guidescope on the CW bar, and either the Camera/lens combo or the 200PDS on top. Obviously, with the 200PDS I'll need counterweights, and there are a couple of problems with this.

Firstly the CW bar adapter has a collar which goes over the bar a way, so I wont be able to slide the weights right to the end. Second, with the PDS the bar would be fully extended and prone to some flex, so ideally the guide scope wouldnt be mounted on the end, but rather would have a side clamp allowing it to be fixed closer to the mount head.

Hopefully that makes sense!

So, firstly, does that make sense, and secondly anyone have any idea how I could attach a dovetail clamp to the bar, but not at the end? Off the shelf solution preferred!

Archived