Milky Way With Meteor

Waiting for good weather...

When I started my mount in the christmas holidays it showed the last used date as October 11th 2015. Since that date we had 1-2 reasonably clear nights, but just not something really good. I dare to say that in the last 6 months there were very limited possibilities here to do proper imaging. So I started to look a bit back into my image archives and found this image taken during my holidays in Austria last summer. This was one of the best imaging nights I had last year.

The image was made end of June from Vandans in Austria. That night was a nice night and I went out to look at the Milky Way. It was impressive already by plane eyesight. During this holidays I had a Nikon D810a with me, supplied by Nikon Netherlands, and wanted to image the Milky Way. I was very impressed by what I already saw on the viewfinder.

The image below consists of 50 images of 60s @ iso800 mosaiced with another set of 8 images of 180s @ iso800. In the image series there was also a meteor burn up visible which even gave me an apod in August (http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap150812.html). I decided now, just having old data to work on, to incorporate the strike into the Milky Way image. This resulted in this impressive sight of the Milky Way standing like a pillar in the sky.

Oh, how I wish it to be clear again :)

Camera: Nikon D810a

Mount: Skywatcher Star Adventurer

24344497636_160e26c806_b.jpg

Milky Way with meteor strike by Andre van der Hoeven, on Flickr

Archived