NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Starlight Live feature idea - "easy" universal camera compatibility

aparker

Here's an idea that would potentially allow broad camera compatibility for SL without needing to develop specific control routines for each brand of camera.  

Instead, simply copy what AstroToaster/DSS does by monitoring a folder for images, then treat those images as if they were coming down off of a connected SX camera.  The user could employ the camera's native control software, or Nebulosity, or other astroimaging platform, to control camera function and direct the images to the target folder.

This would even be a potentially quicker route to enabling some SX features like binning and TEC control, which SL does not currently support.  

My personal ulterior motive is that I'm contemplating getting a Trius 694 (as I slide farther down the slippery slope into imaging), and can envision a setup where I am controlling that camera (including TEC, binning, etc), my SX filter wheel (which I got but have not yet used due to clouds, of course), and a future MicroTouch focus motor all through Nebulosity 4.0, but am able to use the live stacking and display control capabilities of SL to do EAA with it as well as imaging.

Happy holidays, all.

Alex 

Hi Alex,

This isn't far off the test mode I use for testing the software without the need to be connected to a camera and have a clear sky... So will certainly consider it as an addition, as I see your good point!  :grin:

For info, I am actively now working on binning and TEC support, which hopefully won't take too long to finish....

Paul

Hi Alex,

This isn't far off the test mode I use for testing the software without the need to be connected to a camera and have a clear sky... So will certainly consider it as an addition, as I see your good point!  :grin:

For info, I am actively now working on binning and TEC support, which hopefully won't take too long to finish....

Paul

Hi Paul,

Great news about binning and TEC. I'm also excited to see 2.0 released, right in time for me to have my filterwheel ready to go. Assuming the clouds ever clear out of here...

Alex

Archived