Astronomy clubs near Dubuque, Iowa

I'm in the process of moving to Dubuque, Iowa, USA and am looking at the local astronomy clubs. According to the trusty Internet the closest one is more than an hour away but maybe I'm missing something. If there are any closer clubs it would be a great help if a nearby forum member chimed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's amazing what you can find easily with a few keystrokes.....

http://www.astronomyclubs.com/country/United%20States

This lists, under Iowa, 14 astronomy-clubs for the whole state of Iowa. Some not too far from Dubuque. One thing to know about Iowa: It's flat and distances seem further than they really are. I used to be shipped to Burlington, Iowa during the summer when I was young. Never did find out what dreadful act on my part merited such a punishment!  :grin: But, seriously, being rather flat, you should have beautiful sky with horizon-to-horizon visibility. Being Native-American on the side of my family that came from Iowa, my people had learned to stay inside (in our below-ground homes) during the Summer days. And come out at night. I suggest learning to behave similarly - it gets that hot & sticky. Iowa is a word from the branch of the greater Sioux Nation that used to live there. It means: "A place where people lay down and go to sleep." And that's why - A Summer day can be truly oppressive.

So there's your list of clubs, and the history of your new digs along with a suggested itinerary.  :eek:

Have fun!

Dave 

post-38438-0-50553000-1444113728.gif

Archived