NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope and equipment cases

nmoushon

So I'm looking for some storage options for all my equipment...well more like the wife doesn't like the clutter. Anyways the JMI and Pelican hardcases are amazing but don't have $600 dollars to spend. Was wondering what other people on a budget do for cases? Do you use the Rubbermaid stuff packed with foam? That just seems a bit flimsy for me. So just looking to see what other people are doing. Thanks.

Hi nmoushon,

I can't comment on OTA storage; I've always managed to train the people I have lived with (parents, wife...) that telescopes are the highest form of interior design accessory. Then I wrap them (OTA's, not people) in a duvet when transporting in a car.

But for other bits - CCDs, eyepieces, filters, adapters etc - I have one of these :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Storage-Toolbox-Workshop-Rolling-Tool-Box-Wheels-Craft-Sewing-Large-/151827051132?hash=item235998f27c

It's not pretty - sure, the flight cases look way better - but it's very practical and cheaper (mine cost about £35). I can wheel it to the telescope, there's a handy compartment on the front for tools etc, and lots of room inside to store bits. The removable trays work well for my eyepieces; diagonals and cameras go in the main compartments, and the shallower lid storage is a perfect fit for 1.25" filters in their boxes. I'm very happy with mine,

Nigel

For not too much and assuming you've kept your original foam, go to Lowe's and have lexan cut to size. A few hinges and brackets and you've got a box that's almost literally bulletproof for under a couple hundred. Sand it and it's opaque. Just a thought [emoji6]

- N8

Archived