NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Reflashing Celestron mounts

Gazabone

After finally getting a computer to run the Celestron CFM software (that's taken 2 years!), I cannot get it to now recognise that I have a mount attached via a USB port and wonder if anyone has any tips?

I'm using a MacBook Air laptop running OS X Yosemite 10.10.5.  I have the handset connected to the mount and the serial cable into the handset.  I then have a Lindy cable to switch the RS232 cable to a USB connection.  I've switched the mount on pressing the menu and "Celestron" button (and get the Bootloading message up on the handset.  But the computer has no idea that anything is connected to it, keeps searching and finding nothing.

I have read that hooking these things up to a USB port is rather hit and miss but wondered if anyone had any tips please.  I did wonder about getting the "proper" celeston RS232 to USB cable but don't particularly want to spend the money if it's not going to be any better than the Lindy.

Thanks

Gareth

Not sure what the problems will be with running via a Mac which is the first point.

Usually, or often, the problem is the drivers for the USB-Serial converter. There seems to be in general 2 and one is OK the other is a problem - I do not know which also again unsure of usage on a Mac.

Next is drop the speed down at the USB port. These downloads were for the old serial and that meant 96kb or 192kb. The USB bit on the PC will be trying to throw stuff down quicker then that so often more success if it is forceably slowed down. Auto detect tends to mean the PC will try as fast as it can immaterial.

Do you know anyone with a nice old PC with a "proper" serial port on it?

I would almost suggest asking for the subject to be altered to "Flashing Celestron mounts with a Mac"

That way someone with a Mac who may have done this will likely see/read it.

Many thanks Ronin.  I have an old macbook which ran the CFM software but again, wouldn't find the mount when connected but that was USB.  I'll dig out an old PC (if it will "fire up") and see what happens. I have a real problem with windows OS running the software though.

Thanks for the advice and I'll try to change the subject title.

Cheers.

Archived